Garbage & Recycling
The Town of Renfrew provides curbside pick-up for household solid waste (garbage) throughout the municipality. The Town of Renfrew offers many Waste Management opportunities to their residents and some of these opportunities to the surrounding municipalities.
Garbage collection for all residents is collected weekly along side recycling which is collected based on a weekly rotation of Co-Minged/Container and Fibre material. View the below calendar links for more details regarding the collection schedule
UPDATE: April 8th - With the 'Stay At Home' order in effect, please note the following;
- Household Hazardous Waste Depot will open Saturday May 8th subject to any further COVID restrictions.
- Garbage tags can be purchase by APPOINTMENT ONLY at the Town Hall (613-432-8166 x300)
- The Landfill is open to residents
- Curbside collection is as scheduled
- Leaf & Yard Waste beings the week of April 19th
2021 Waste Management Curb-Side Collection Calendar **REVISED April 8, 2021
Curbside Garbage Pick-up
- Residential - 2 Bags
- Commercial - 4 bags
- Garbage must be placed at the curb on the correct collection day, no later than 7 a.m. on scheduled collection day or the night before.
2021 Magnetic Collection Calendars are available at the Town Hall Office located at 127 Raglan Street South .*until supplies last
Purchasing Extra Tags
To purchase additional tags a cost of $2.00 applies to each tag.
Please visit one of these locations to purchase your tags.
- Town Hall
- Landfill Site
- Renfrew Library
- Recreation Centre
Curbside Recycling Pick-up
Recycling will rotate weekly between a Co-mingled (container) and Fibre collection. Please ensure your blue bin with the appropriate recyclable material is curbside by 7:00am on your regular scheduled day.
2021 Waste Management Curbside COLLECTION CALENDAR **REVISED April 8, 2021-Household Hazardous Waste Depot Opening Date
Recyclable material must be placed curbside by 7:00 a.m. on regular scheduled day. ONLY the designaged material for that week will be collected. Please DO NOT place recycable material in clear plastic bags (with the exception of fine shredded paper).
**There are NO changes to garbage collection, which will remain on a weekly schedule with a 2 bag/bin residential limit.
Recyclable material must be clean and contaminated free. Containers, bottles, cans etc should be emptied and washed prior to them being put into the blue bins.
Please be advised that mixing contaminated material and garbage with clean recyclable material will cost the Town higher processing fees and ultimately the material will end up in the landfill.
Residential: no limit on blue box numbers as long as recyclables originate at the address.
Industrial, Commercial and Institutional
- 8 blue boxes maximum
- 2 clear plastic bags of fine paper per stop maximum
Fibre Recycling (no milk or juice cartons)
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogues, flyers, brown paper bags
- Boxboard/ Paperboard: cereal boxes, tissue boxes, paper egg cartons, toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls
Co-mingled Container Recycling
- Glass - clear or coloured glass food and beverage bottles, jars - MUST BE cleaned and rinsed
- Cartons: Milk and juice cartons and tetra packs
- Plastic: Type #1 to 7 food and beverage containers, tubs and lids
- Tin: Cans, open & empty paint cans (no plastic with metal tops or bottoms and empty aerosol cans)
Please be advised, the following items are NOT accepted;
- Plastic film (grocery and shopping bags, outer wrap from cases of water, toilet paper and paper towels)
- Used Tissues
Approved Recycling Containers
- Approved recycling containers shall include “blue boxes”, standard clear boxes, clear plastic bags (for fine paper only), corrugated cardboard boxes that are capable of easily being emptied into the collection vehicle or any other container that is easily carried and is capable of easily being emptied into the collection vehicle.
- Recycling containers must be placed to the curb such that they do not leak and are not damaged or deteriorated from rain or snow.
- Recycling containers size shall be (24” x 16” x 14”) and when filled does not weigh more than 23 kg (50 lbs.).
- Clear Plastic bags are NOT to be used for any material other then fine shredded paper
Blue Boxes for Sale
Cost: $10.00 per box.
Town Hall & Renfrew Landfill Site (376 Bruce St)
The Blue Box Recycling Program enables each one of us to maximize waste diversion. Please familiarize yourself with all the options for recycling so that our recycling program is a success in Renfrew.
A composter credit of $30.00 is available per property for the Town of Renfrew residents who install and purchase a composter. Please provide receipt at Town Hall for a rebate.
Leaf and Yard Waste - 2021 Spring Dates
Renfrew residents may dispose of their leaves/grass free of charge at the Municipal Landfill Site. All bags/containers must be emptied at the designated area. Bags/containers must be free of paper and other refuse when emptied at the designated area.
Our LAST week of collection for Spring 2021 will be the week of May 17-21.
Paper bags and bundles must be curbside before 7:00am Tuesday May 18th. If placed curbside AFTER Tuesday Morning, collection may not be guaranteed.
NOTE: The pick up for the service will begin on the Tuesday of each week. The number of leaf and yard waste items put out for collection during the regular collection period shall be unlimited during the leaf and yard waste collection periods. Place your leaf and yard waste at the curb in a different area, other than your normal place for regular household waste for removal.
Approved Leaf and Yard Waste Containers and Sizing:
- Paper bags and bound bundles that are capable of being easily emptied and satisfies the size, or any other, requirements set out in this section. Plastic bags and/or Biodegradable plastic bags will not be accepted.
- Individual leaf and yard waste containers must not exceed 23 kg (50 lbs.).
- Individual branches must not exceed 25 mm (1 inch) in diameter.
- Bundled brush and twigs must not exceed 1.5 m (5 feet) in length and 0.6 m (2 feet) in diameter.
- Do not mix with any household waste.
Curbside Placement - 2021 SPRING DATES
Leaf and yard waste containers must be placed in such a manner that they are not damaged or deteriorated from rain or snow to such an extent that they cannot be loaded into the collection vehicle.
Electronic Waste (WEEE)
Electronic devices are composed of reusable materials like plastic and precious metals that can be recycled and put back into manufacturing.
Household Hazardous Waste Materials: HHWD - Located at the Bruce Street Landfill Site
The household Hazardous Depot's will be OPENING Saturday May 8th, 2021 at 8:00am.
- Paints: All Types Of Paint And Stains, Varnish Etc.
- Solvents: Turpentine, Disinfectants, Household Cleaners, Bleach, Oven And Drain Cleaners, Furniture Stripper, Ammonia Etc.
- Pesticides: Herbicides, Pesticides and Insecticides, Weed Killer Etc.
- Pool cleaners
- Propane Tanks
- Used Oil: Oil and brake fluid
- Batteries: Small Home Batteries, Car and Boat Batteries.
- Oil filters
All of these above products must be in their original containers and disposed of safely and separately from our regular household garbage.
Household hazardous waste should not be thrown in the garbage or poured down sewers and drains.
During the summer season, this depot can be used FREE OF CHARGE by residents of the following municipalities: Addington Highlands Township, Town of Arnprior, Admaston Bromley Township, Horton Township, Greater Madawaska Township, McNab Braeside Township and the Town of Renfrew. For further information contact the Site Manager at 613-432-0731, 376 Bruce Street, Renfrew, ON.
The Renfrew Landfill site is located at 376 Bruce Street. To ensure the safety of Staff and the Public, the following COVID-19 precautions will be in place;
- The number of vehicles that are able to access the site and the sorting bins at one time will be LIMITED
- Payment will be limited to Debit and Credit ONLY
- A hand sanitation station will be set up for public use
- Staff and signage will assist in directing vehicles and movements on site while unloading
Only waste generated in the Town of Renfrew will be accepted at this site.
Waste transported to landfill is to be sorted. Review Landfill Fees and Charges for more information regarding waste classification and sorted material.
Landfill Site Hours - WINTER HOURS
- Tuesday - 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Wednesday - 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Thursday - 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Saturday - 8:00am - 4:00pm
**Winter Hours of operation are currently in effect until April 30th, 2021. **Summer hours will commence May 1, 2021 through till August 31st, 2021.