What is a Commissioner of Oaths?

A Commissioner of Oaths is a person who is authorized by the Province of Ontario to take an oath when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration. They are given this authority by the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act. Commissioners with the Town of Renfrew are only authorized to take affidavits, oaths, declarations, or sworn statements for certain municipal and government forms. A list of acceptable documents that can be commissioned is outlined below. The Commissioner is not responsible for the content of the affidavit and you must swear that the contents of the document are true to the best of your knowledge. You must understand the details in the document to which you are attesting – and you must understand that by swearing an oath, you are attesting that those details are correct. You must be able to provide valid photo ID.  

Frequently asked questions

How much does a Commissioner of Oaths service cost?

The cost is $15 for Renfrew residents and $20 for non-residents. Please note that an appointment is required. 

What documents can be commissioned?

  • Planning applications related to matters within the geographical limits of the Municipality
  • Legal name change application
  • Name Change and/or Sex change documents and application
  • Declaration affirming parentage
  • Election to change name of child under the age of 12 (Service Ontario form)
  • Vehicle ownership transfers - sworn statement for a transfer of a used vehicle in the Province of Ontario
  • Pension purposes - Attestations a is alive and confirming residency
  • Delayed birth registrations
  • Application to amend birth registrations
  • Statutory declaration of lost identification (passport)
  • Invitation letters for a visitor's visa
  • Canadian citizenship forms
  • Statutory declaration for Ontario Assistance Program (OSAP)
  • Statement of conscience or religious belief - immunization of schools pupil act
  • Consent letters for children travelling out of the country

What documents cannot be commissioned?

  • Wills, living wills, codicils (amendments) to wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Certify True Copies (unless municipal documents)
  • Divorce, separation, marriage or cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Real estate documents including transfer of land
  • Estate settlement documents including transfers of money or estates of a deceased person
  • Documents related to finance (banking information, RRSP, Insurance Claims, Declaration for replacement of shares, statutory declaration of progress payment distribution, etc.)
  • Court, legal and/or civil issues related documents
  • Ministry of Community and Social Services Family Responsibility Office forms
  • Incomplete documents
  • International education institution or association documents including photographs
  • Any documents requiring the signature of a Guarantor or Notary Public

What do I need for Proof of Identity (only one document is required)

  • Passport - Canadian/Foreign
  • Canadian Citizenship Card with photo
  • Canadian Permanent Resident card with signature
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Resident accompanied by a valid passport from country of origin
  • Report pursuant to the immigration and refugee protection act with photo
  • Student Authorization/Work Permit
  • Employment Authorization/Work Permit
  • Visitor Record
  • Temporary Resident's Permit
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card
  • Drivers license or enhanced driver's license