Planning and Building

Planning and Building

Prior to Starting Your Project 

Contact the Department of Development and Works at 613.432.8166 or email when you are in the planning stages of your project to determine the specific building and zoning requirements for your property; do not wait until the last minute.

What Residential Projects Need a Building Permit?

You need a building permit if you intend to:

  • Erect, install, extend, alter or repair a building.
  • Demolish all or part of a building.
  • Perform construction or alterations that result in a material change to a building or an accessory structure.

For more building permit information, please review 'Building Permit Info'

Planning Approval

Projects must:

  • Comply with zoning by-laws.
  • Meet the requirements in Renfrew’s zoning by-laws for size, setback and location.
  • Your building permit will not be approved if the work does not comply with zoning by-laws.

For more information regarding planning and land use, please review 'Land Use Planning', or contact the Town Planner

Eric Withers, Town Planner

613-432-8166 Ext 305


Who's responsible for scheduling a building inspection?

The building permit holder, who can be the owner or contractor, is responsible for:

  • Calling to arrange inspections at the required inspection stages.
  • Ensuring construction meets the Ontario Building Code.
  • Make sure you set up your inspections on time to avoid delays.
  • Standard Inspection Schedule Guidelines

Please note: Contractors can also schedule building inspections on the permit holder’s behalf.

To book an inspection, contact Tom Webster, Chief Building Official

613-432-8166 Ext 304


Related Downloads